VSF-Suisse South Sudan country office is looking for a:
Field Project Manager/ Veterinarian
Expected Start Date: 1st September 2022
Duration: 6 months with possible extension
Report to: Senior Management Team
Application Closing Date: 31st July 2022
Vétérinaires Sans Frontières- Suisse (VSF Suisse) is an international NGO working in South Sudan since
1995, with geographical focus in Northern Bahr el Ghazal State, Central Equatoria State, Unity State,
Ruweng Administrative Area and Greater Pibor Administrative Area among other regions in the country.
VSF-Suisse focuses on preventing and alleviating suffering, disease, and hunger, and contributing to socioeconomic
development and sustainable environment, in areas where livestock, agriculture and related
issues play, or could play an important role in improving peoples’ livelihoods, food and nutrition security and
resilience. VSF-Suisse endeavours to provide communities with holistic management approaches to
livestock issues including: healthcare, production management, marketing support and veterinary public
health. VSF-Suisse promotes innovative service delivery approaches including: capacity building of
livestock keepers and farmers through pastoral/farmer field schools; integrated crop and livestock
agriculture as a sustainable means of increasing livestock and agricultural productivity and communitybased
animal health system through training of CAHWs, support to cold chain system and establishment of
private veterinary pharmacies model for sustainable animal health services delivery. VFS Suisse
mainstreams and integrates cross-cutting issues such as environmental protection, gender equity, HIV /
AIDs, and human protection in its program strategies. VSF Suisse integrates and applies the principles of
Conflict Sensitivity, Do No Harm and Accountability to Affected Populations in its programming.
Under the supervision of the Senior Management Team and in collaboration with other technical and
support staff, the position holder shall undertake the following duties:
· Oversee projects management cycles from planning, implementation, monitoring, supervision,
evaluation and reporting in cooperation with team members.
· Support the development of new project proposals and concept notes for future funding.
· Plan, organize and oversee field level stakeholder workshops, in cooperation with field teams to
introduce new projects – objectives, outputs, inputs, activities, beneficiaries and targeting criteria,
implementation modalities, roles and responsibilities.
· Ensure accurate and resource conscious management of project funds and manage the budget
available for the projects in collaboration with the finance management teams.
· Lead the preparation of project specific weekly, monthly, quarterly updates, presentations, thematic
write ups / articles and publications in cooperation with field teams and the project management team.
· Carryout training needs assessments and capacity building trainings on key projects technical
components targeting key stakeholders, Community Based Animal Health Workers etc., in line with
Livestock Emergency Guidelines and Standards (LEGS).
· Spearhead and support livestock treatment, vaccination and carrying out disease surveillance as may
be required in liaison with line Ministries.
· Assess needs according to field activity plans and initiate field supplies delivery and staff movement
arrangements in liaison with the operations department.
· Lead the review of CAHWs capacity in the field and ensure they’re trained, mentored and equipped to
offer animal health services to communities.
· Facilitate contact, coordination and close working relationships between VSF-Suisse and local
stakeholders in the Food Security and Livelihoods (Clusters, Country Authorities, Professional
Associations, and other Development Agencies) in the operation area.
· Participate in joint Food Security and Livelihoods assessments, Baseline Surveys etc in conjunction
with other key actors, including UN Agencies, international organizations, NGOs in response to the
· Participate and represent VSF Suisse in Food Security and Livelihoods and Livestock Working Group
coordination meetings at field and where applicable at the national level meetings
· Plan and carry out project monitoring activities and document lessons learnt, best practices
· Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Senior Management Team.
Core Competencies and Qualifications Required
· Applicants should possess a Minimum Bachelors’ Degree in Veterinary Medicine/ Veterinary
Science/ Doctor of Veterinary Medicine with at least 5 years of progressive field level experience of
work in Livestock/ Food Security and Livelihoods programming is highly desirable.
· Ability to establish priorities, plan, coordinate and monitor own work, plan effectively under pressure
with minimal supervision and meet tight deadlines
· Good communication (spoken and written) skills, ability to prepare and present information and prepare
written documents/communications in a clear, concise style
· Good computer skills, proficiency in various computer software including word processing, spreadsheet
and internet applications; familiarity with database management desirable.
· Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in
a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
· Ability to independently design and carryout thematic assessments, baseline surveys, studies and
community participatory evaluation exercises.
· Experience in gender sensitive participatory approaches in humanitarian work in emergencies
· Excellent organizational, managerial and report writing skills.
· Willingness and commitment to strictly adherence to organizational rules, regulations, guidelines and
code of conduct
· Good understanding of cross cutting issues- protection, AAP, gender, environment, protection, HIV
· Good understanding of South Sudan cultural diversities
· Knowledge/ Certification on Livestock Emergency Guidelines and Standards (LEGS)
· Command of local dialects shall be an added advantage
Interested candidates should submit to the e-mail address Office.Juba@vsf-suisse.org the following
application documents or through hand delivery at our office in Hai Malakal, Next to Eritrean Embassy,
· Application Letter (not more than one page)
· Detailed CV indicating e-mail and telephone contacts and at least three referees (max 4 pages)
· Motivation Letter (one page) detailing previous experience and relevance to the position
· Scanned copy of National ID/Passport
· Scanned copies of Academic Certificates, Testimonials and Recommendation Letters
The application e-mail should indicate on the subject line the Job Title. Only short-listed candidates
will be contacted for interviews. Closing date for receiving applications is 31st July 2022.
View and download this job ad as a PDF-file here.